Mostar & Sarajevo │ 2-Day Trip from Split │ Private │ Guided │ 2 days │ From $165
Day 1: Split/Mostar/ Sarajevo
Today we take you to experience Počitelj, Mostar and Sarajevo in Bosnia & Herzegovina. Join your driver guide on an interesting drive through the fertile agricultural flatland to the beautiful city of Mostar with a stop at the Ottoman-era fortress village of Počitelj. This is really a an amazing place for picture taking. The climbable octagonal Gavrakapetan Tower is the most iconic building here.
Shortly, the mountains will become higher, more impressive, and the road will lead atop the spectacular terrain. We come to the city of Mostar. A new day has dawned, yet, as with most of this region, there has been a turnover in allegiance and leadership spanning centuries, from evidence of pre-historical and Roman settlements, to Austro-Hungarian (visible in the light blue and yellow buildings of typical Empire style) and Ottoman Turk, onwards through Yugoslavian and Croatian rule, eventually landing in present-day Bosnia-Herzegovina. Learn more about history, culture, unique architecture and local life of Mostar as you stroll these streets in the company of your professional English-speaking local guide.
But what one really notices about Mostar is the resilience of the people and a society set on moving forward from the ills of the past. The narrow, charming streets near the Old Bridge are lined with local vendors, and cobblestones smoothed from centuries of use form a vivid reminder of the age of this cradle of life. As we near the river’s crossing, we descend to view from below one of the more vivid images of recent memory- the Old Bridge, or Stari Most, itself, which has straddled the Neretva River since the XVI Century.
Destroyed during the war by hillside missiles and recently rebuilt, this piece of heritage is an incredibly vital landmark and an extraordinary example of Ottoman architecture from that time. Now, as ever, it strikes a compelling vision as it stretches across the gorge.
On the other side of the bridge, you’ll find souvenirs of times long past- jewelry made from Yugoslavian artillery, bullets turned into necklaces, metal from guns made into ashtrays and many others. As we stroll the city’s winding streets, we’re reminded at every turn of the conflict that raged so publicly right here- bombed out buildings remain a stark reminder of how precious and fragile life is.
But as we dine by the riverside, at a café perched above the frigid mountain waters of the Neretva, a distinct serenity accompanies the low hum of the passing waters, the warm, nebulous air, and the joyful sounds of local melodies cascading through the stone-laced streets. We continue to Sarajevo for overnight.
Day 2: Sarajevo/Split
Next morning we start the sightseeing tour of the beautiful Sarajevo with the Baščaršija square itself, famous fountain called Sebilj, and a whole story behind. Later we move on towards Kazandžiluk street (Coppersmith’s street), burned library – Vijećnica, and thorough explanation regarding the two distanced fortresses, Yellow and White bastion. Imperial mosque, Gazi Husref bey’s mosque complex, Gazi Husref bey’s bezistan, Clock tower, Madrassa, and few other spots around are places we do not miss. Just a few steps outside of Old Town we go and see Cathedral of Sacred Jesus Hearth, Jewish museum and gallery, being followed with Morića Han (only surviving Ottoman time Han – hostel in Sarajevo). Old Orthodox Church, one most uncommon in its design by being wider than longer, and built in some interesting manner, is also one of our goals. The tour continues with a short ride to the War tunnel where during the car ride you will be introduced to the origins of the Balkans conflict, for gaining the better understanding of the Aggression of Bosnia and Herzegovina and the Sarajevo Siege.
Return to Split.
- The departure and pick up is from accommodation in Split or Split area; hotels, private accommodations, port or other, as the day trip is private.
- We suggest to start at 8 AM or 9 AM, every day of the week. However, if you would like to start later, please let us know as this is a private tour just for you and your travel companions and we can adjust it all according to your preferences.
- Flexible. This is a full day trip, usually from 8 AM until 6 PM, but we can return earlier if you wish since this is a private tour.
- Drop off is at the accommodation in Split or Split area where the guests are staying or any specific drop off point in and around Split.
- Transfer by comfortable air conditioned vehicle
- English speaking driver
- Stop in Počitelj for picture taking
- Professional English speaking local guide in Mostar (other languages available)
- Professional English speaking local guide in Sarajevo (other languages available)
- Accommodations in Sarajevo – please let us know if you need assistance with booking accommodation
- Anything else not mentioned in inclusion